2019 National EMS Week, May 19-25
Notice. Sherman County Fair Board Seeks Fair Board Secretary
Notice: Sherman County Surplus Sale
Notice. Biggs Service District Budget Committee Meeting, June 5
Sherman County 4-H Club News: Chicken Tenders & Tiny Teaspoons
Wasco County Historical Program Features French House, June 1
History Tidbits for Memorial Day: Sherman County Civil War Veterans
“Born in other countries, yet believing you could be happy in this, our laws acknowledge, as they should do, your right to join us in society, conforming, as I doubt not you will do, to our established rules.” —Thomas Jefferson (1801)
1. 2019 National EMS Week, May 19-25
May 19-25, 2019 is the 45th annual National EMS Week. In 1974, President Gerald Ford authorized EMS Week to celebrate EMS practitioners and the important work they do in our nation’s communities. Sherman County EMS is celebrating EMS Week at our May 21st meeting.
Sherman County EMS is proud to acknowledge and thank all of those who serve in our community. We also would like to acknowledge the family members who support our EMS personnel. Personnel miss dinners, family functions and other activities in order to answer the call of duty. Personnel respond all time of the day and night and in all types of extreme weather conditions.
Please take the time to thank your Sherman County EMS personnel and let them know how much they are truly appreciated.
2. Notice. Sherman County Fair Board Seeks Fair Board Secretary
Job Description – May 15, 2019
Year-round paid position, pay DOE, hours vary based on season, some evenings and weekends required. Reports to: President, Sherman County Fair Board
- Prepare and advertise agenda, following public meeting laws.
- Prepare monthly financial reports to present to the Board at meetings.
- Keep all minutes of the Fair Board and/or committees and disperse copies to necessary individuals and groups
- Keep complete and accurate records of all proceedings and transactions in which the Board or Fair is concerned or involved in any way.
- Issue notices, announcements or publications of or for the Fair and board.
- Conduct correspondence, order supplies and maintain adequate records on file for all Fair dealings
- Receive and keep complete records of all entries and awards made for premiums in all departments of the fair, except 4-H and FFA.
- Off season events: arrange contracts, collect rent, etc. and note in monthly reports.
- Prepare reports as may be required by Oregon Fair Association.
- Prepare calendar of events for the year, indicating uses, revenue, dates, etc. of use of fairgrounds.
- Year-round promotion of the fair
- Manage fair office and hire office staff for Fair season
- Administrative duties include answering phones, regular mailings and emails, updating and maintaining filing, provide bills to the County in a timely matter, record and report revenues and expenditures
- Aid Fair Board in the development of the yearly budget for operations of the Fairgrounds and work with the finance director of the County.
- Help solicit funds for the Fair.
- Aid Board in grounds maintenance and trash removal
- Prepare the premium book for publication
Experience & Skills:
Experience with accounting, Microsoft Word, and Excel is essential. The position requires effectiveness in financial management, excellent verbal and written communications, and working well with the public.
Qualified applicants should send resume and cover letter by May 31st, 2019 to:
Sherman County Fair Board
PO Box 45
Wasco, OR 97065
OR submit electronically to: email@example.com
3. Notice. Sherman County Surplus Sale
Surplus for sale by Sherman County:
2000 Ford E450 Bus
Mileage: ~ 125,490 miles
As Is Condition
VIN #: 1FDXE4553YHB96056
2008 Jeep Patriot
Mileage: ~ 87,058 miles
As Is Condition: Possible Drive Train Issue
VIN #: 108FF28W18D605526
2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Mileage: ~ 33,980
As Is Condition
VIN #: 3A8FY68878T155104
2014 Dodge Charger
Mileage: ~ 99,856
As Is Condition
VIN #: 2C3CDXAT4EH158884
Sealed bids must be submitted to the Sherman County Court, P.O. Box 365, Moro, OR 97039 by 5:00 pm Tuesday June 4, 2019. Bids will be opened and read aloud during County Court on Wednesday, June 5, 2019. ALL ENVELOPES AND BIDS MUST BE LABLED WITH THE ITEM YOU ARE BIDDING ON. Minimum bid for Ford Van: $2,000; Minimum bid for Jeep Patriot: $2,000; Minimum bid for PT Cruiser: $3,500; Minimum bid for Dodge Charger: $10,000. To request a viewing appointment, contact the Office of the Sherman County Court at 541-565-3416.
4. Notice. Biggs Service District Budget Committee Meeting, June 5
A public meeting of the Budget Committee of the Biggs Service District, Sherman County, State of Oregon, to discuss the budget for the fiscal year July1, 2019 to June 30, 2020, will be held at Sherman County Court House, 500 Court Street, Moro, Oregon. The meeting will take place on the 5th day of June 2019 at 8:30 a.m.
The purpose of the meeting is to receive the budget message and to receive Comment from the public on the budget. A copy of the budget document may be Inspected or obtained on or after June 3, 2019, at Sherman Courthouse between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Any questions contact, Merrie von Borstel at 541-565-5052.
5. Sherman County 4-H Club News: Chicken Tenders & Tiny Teaspoons
The Chicken Tenders 4-H poultry club met on May 14 at 5:17pm at the Extension Office. Attending were Renan, Claire, Damian and Cohen. Excused were Dillian and Emersyn. Pledge of Allegiance led by Cohen, 4-H Pledge by Renan. What we did during the meeting: discussed Condon field trip, refurbishing cages, painting, presentations by Claire and Damian, eggs and egg life. Next meeting will be June 6. Meeting adjourned at 6:10pm. Signed Cali Johnson, News Reporter
The Tiny Teaspoons 4-H Club met on May 17, 2019 at 3:30 at the Cranston’s. Attending were Claire, Maddie, Addie and Savanah. Excused absence was Savanna D. Pledge of Allegiance was led by Addie and the 4-H Pledge was led by Savanah. Today was Pie Day! We made Ruffled Milk Pie, which was made out of phyllo dough. We learned how to quickly fold and wrap the phyllo dough before it dried out because it was so thin. We also learned how to mix a custard for that pie. Then we each made two Perfect Pie crusts and one pie crust we blind baked using beans. The pie crust we blind baked was for Strawberry Pie. The other pie shell we baked into was Quiche Lorraine. Our next meeting will be the end of June. Meeting was adjourned at 5:30. Signed Claire Cranston news reporter.
6. Wasco County Historical Program Features French House, June 1
The Wasco County Historical Society presents the first of six programs in their summer series. The program will be at the historic French House at 515 Liberty Street in The Dalles on June 1, 2019 at 11a.m. The building now houses the Sweetheart Bake Shop.
The building has a long history beginning circa1865 and is named for the French Family who had the French & Company Bank for many years. History of the building will be presented by Cal McDermid and the present owner Jason Blevins.
Please RSVP to 541-478-3429 by May 28th as seating is limited. Refreshments will be available for purchase.
7. History Tidbits for Memorial Day: Sherman County Civil War Veterans
Information for Civil War veterans who lived in Sherman County is derived from cemetery records in Sherman County, Kent, Grass Valley, Moro, Rose, Sunrise, Wasco Methodist and Emigrant Springs, and Chris Sanders’ transcribed obituaries from the microfilmed copies of the Wasco News, Wasco News Enterprise, People’s Republic, Grass Valley Journal, Moro Bulletin, Moro Leader, Moro Observer, Sherman County Observer, and Sherman County Journal.
Other sources include the 1900 Sherman County Voters’ Register transcribed by Chris Sanders, the 1890 11th Census of Surviving Soldiers, Marines and Widows in Sherman County, and the Oregon Death Index. Monkland, Rutledge, Erskine, Klondike, Nish, McDonald, Michigan and Rosebush were small hamlets or districts in Sherman County.
The list of Civil War veterans is posted here: http://shermancountyoregon.com/sherman-county/sherman-county-military/sherman-county-civil-war/.