Notice. Special Meeting, City of Wasco, Dec. 5
Relieving the Stress
Remember Local Needs with Year-end Giving
All County Prayer Meeting, Dec. 5
“Choose Something Like a Star with Cascade Singers, Dec. 8 & 9
Links: Things to Think About & Things to Do
1. Notice. Special Meeting, City of Wasco, Dec. 5
Special Meeting-Wasco City Hall-Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 1:00PM.
In accordance with ORS 254.575 (1) & The City of Wasco Charter Chapter VI Section 24, there will be a public meeting to break the tie vote between Erik Glover and William Minter to determine the successful candidate for Wasco City Council Position.
2. Relieving the Stress
We asked you to think about those things that cause you stress and tension during the holiday season. If you did, great! This is the first step in eliminating stress – Defining the Challenge.
If you ask people about their “pet peeves,” waiting in traffic always comes up. Friends will refer to the local freeways as “slow moving parking lots.” So, there you are, stuck in traffic, inching along. Is it a situation that you can control? Probably not. Really, the only thing over which you do have control is how you react to the situation.
So how do you turn this apparent lemon into lemonade? First, it helps to realize that all traffic jams are not caused by stupid drivers. Accidents do happen. After all, we are only human. At any given moment, on any street or highway, there are hundreds of variables to consider. Now, you have the opportunity to fill the time with something productive that makes you feel like you are not “wasting” the time but accomplishing something. (And that would not mean talking on your cell phone or texting!)
Roger Moore, of James Bond fame, said that when stopped at traffic lights, he would suck in his stomach muscles and hold them until the light turned green. Roger may never have had six-pack abs, but he did have good posture. (No self-respecting Bond would slouch.) So, some folks burst into song, relieving the frustration with music. Some folks listen to audio books. Others do simple neck stretching exercises, which benefits the body as well as the mind.
What it comes down to is this: Is the goal to get frustrated and angry, or is the goal to get where you are going, safely, and get on with the business at hand? It comes down to the effective use of your energies. Do you spend them pounding on the steering wheel or yelling out the window? Or do you turn them toward accomplishment?
Once the goal is set, first, you relax and then you unleash that tremendous power within you to get it done. Once again, obstacles become opportunities by simply changing the way you look at them. ~The Pacific Institute
3. Remember Local Needs with Year-end Giving
Remember Local Needs for Year-end Giving | tax-deductible non-profit organizations |
- ABC Huskies Day Care, Sherman County Child Care Foundation, P.O. Box 424, Wasco, OR 97065
- Columbia Basin Agricultural Research Center – Sherman Station Foundation, 36656 Lone Rock Road, Moro, OR 97039
- Columbia Gorge CASA, P.O. Box 663, Hood River, OR 97031
- Grass Valley Pavilion Renovation & Rejuvenation Project, City of Grass Valley, P.O. Box 191, Grass Valley, OR 97029
- HAVEN from Domestic and Sexual Violence, P.O. Box 576, The Dalles, OR 9058
- Little Wheats Day Care Inc., P.O. Box 71, Moro, OR 97039
- Maryhill Museum of Art, 35 Maryhill Museum Drive, Goldendale, WA 98620
- Oregon Cultural Trust, Oregon Cultural Trust, 775 Summer Street NE, Ste 200, Salem, OR 97301 – a portion of these funds are allocated to Sherman County Cultural Coalition for distribution, & matched to local cultural non-profit gifts provide a tax credit.
- OSU Extension 4-H Programs, 36656 Lone Rock Road, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Ambulance, PO Box 139, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Athletic Foundation, P.O. Box 191, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Cultural Coalition, P.O. Box 23, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Education Foundation, P.O. Box 68, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Fair, P.O. Box 45, Wasco, OR 97065
- Sherman County Food Bank, P.O. Box 14, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Historical Society & Museum, P.O. Box 173, Moro, OR 97039 –qualifies for Oregon Cultural Trust Tax Credits
- Sherman County Junior Hoops, c/o Sherman County Athletic Foundation, P.O. Box 191, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Lions Club, P.O. Box 27, Wasco, OR 97065
- Sherman Elementary Parent Teacher Organization, 69512 High School Loop, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Public/School Library, 69512 High School Loop, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Scholarship Association, 65912 High School Loop, Moro, Oregon 97039
- Sherman County Senior & Community Center, P.O. Box 352, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman Development League, P.O. Box 11, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Preschool, 69512 High School Loop, Moro, OR 97039
- Wasco Cemetery Association, Sun Rise Cemetery, P.O. Box 155, Wasco, OR 97065
- Wasco RR Depot & History Center, City of Wasco, P.O. Box __, Wasco, OR 97065
- Wasco School Events Center, City of Wasco, P.O. Box __, Wasco, OR 97065
- Wasco Salmon/Steelhead Tournament, P.O. Box __, Wasco, OR 97065
- Your church.
Consider gifts to these organizations to honor someone with a shared interest, to recognize someone’s achievement or success, in memory or remembrance, to express your appreciation, or as the perfect gift for someone who has everything.
4. All County Prayer Meeting, Dec. 5
The All County Prayer Meeting is Wednesday, December 5 @ the Wasco Methodist Church. Fellowship starts at 6:30 PM, Pray time starts at 7:00 PM and ends at 8:30 PM. Everyone is welcome to come and join the meeting, come and join in when you can get there and stay as long as you can. Thank You, Red Gibbs
5. “Choose Something Like a Star with Cascade Singers, Dec. 8 & 9
Cascade Singers warmed up for their Dec. 8 and 9 concerts at the Discovery Center last Saturday under the direction of Miles Thoming-Gale. “Choose Something Like a Star” is the title for the holiday concert. The line comes from a poem by Robert Frost set to music by Randall Thompson. It will be featured along with traditional and contemporary Christmas favorites by the choir, ensemble, and children’s choir. Performances take place at Zion Lutheran Church, 10th and Union Streets, The Dalles. Saturday’s concert begins at 7 p.m. and the Sunday concert starts at 3 p.m. Admission is by donation at the door.
6. Links: Things to Think About & Things to Do