Open Pickleball Court at the Wasco Gym, Nov. 29, Dec. 6, 13, 20
1st Annual 5K Reindeer Run & Snowflake Stroll, Dec. 2
Notice: Weed Advisory Board Meeting, Dec. 5
Decorate The Mitten Tree at Sherman County Public/School Library
Keeping Charge Over Your Life
Remember Local Needs for Year-end Giving, Updated
Sherman County Senior & Community Center December Meal Menu
Links: Things to Think About & Things to Do
1. Open Pickleball Court at the Wasco Gym, Nov. 29, Dec. 6, 13, 20
Come join us and learn a new game. We have installed a court in the gym at the Wasco School Events Center. Bo and Mary Macnab will be available from 10 a.m. to noon on the following dates to help you learn the basics. Please wear clean shoes. We have four racquets available for beginners.
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 29, 10-12
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 6, 10-12
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 13, 10-12
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 20, 10-12
Questions? Call Mary at 442-5450.
2. 1st Annual 5K Reindeer Run & Snowflake Stroll, Dec. 2
Mark your calendars – December 2nd is the first annual 5K Reindeer Run & Snowflake Stroll, a holiday costume-themed race! Prizes will be awarded for the most festive individual costume, the most festive group costume, and the most festive running train (3 or more individuals linked linearly – think Santa behind a few reindeer!).
Coffee, cocoa, and hot cider will be provided.
When: December 2nd at 10 AM (registration at 9 AM)
Where: Lewis & Clark Festival Park, The Dalles
If you’d like to pre-register, please fill out the attached form and send it to Judy Bankman at email@example.com.
Hope to see you there! For more information, please contact North Central Public Health District at (541) 506-2600 or visit us on the web at http://www.ncphd.org or our Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/NorthCentralPublicHealth/.
3. Notice: Weed Advisory Board Meeting, Dec. 5
The next Sherman County Weed Advisory Board regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday December 5th, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. at the Weed District building, 66143 Lone Rock Road, Moro (north side of the Fairgrounds). The public is welcome.
4. Decorate The Mitten Tree at Sherman County Public/School Library
Bring your donation of gloves, mittens, hats and scarves to decorate the Mitten Tree at the Library. We invite everyone to adorn the bare branches with warmth. We are also requesting warm throws and blankets to place under the tree. The Mitten Tree will be up through the end of December and all donated items will be given to our local food bank and other agencies serving Sherman County.
5. Keeping Charge Over Your Life
What does a sense of having control over your life have to do with successful aging?
When we enter this later phase of life, we experience certain losses that can’t really be avoided. However, having a sense of control over our lives is a very important factor in how successfully we age.
An important study by Harvard researchers, conducted in a nursing home, is a case in point. One group of residents took charge of their daily living activities, including dressing, eating, personal hygiene and maintaining their own environments. A second group had all these functions taken care of for them by staff.
Results indicated that those in the first group were more alert, active and happier. 18 months later, 15% of that group had died, compared to 30% of the second group.
You see, the opportunity to make choices increases our sense of personal power and control. While folks who are older deserve our love, attention and support, the more we take over the business of living for them, the more they will come to need our help. The less they will be able to do for themselves, the faster their decline into helplessness.
Watch for a well-intentioned but misguided desire to be helpful that tempts you to take over for your friends and relatives who are older. Instead, support their efforts to take care of themselves and you will be empowering them to live longer, happier lives.
~The Pacific Institute
Politeness to others is usually born out of respect for the individual, which you learn as a child. When you are treated with respect by other members of the family, you learn to respect them as well. The self-esteem that results from being recognized as a unique person by the people who matter most to you helps you develop the confidence necessary to succeed later in life. Politeness and consideration for others are habits that — once developed — usually stay with you for a lifetime. While common courtesy may seem relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things, it is a reflection of more basic values. More important, if you develop the habit of respecting others, you are likely to command respect from them. ~Napoleon Hill Foundation
7. Remember Local Needs for Year-end Giving, Updated
Remember Local Needs for Year-end Giving | tax-deductible non-profit organizations | Give to these organizations to honor someone with a shared interest, to recognize someone’s achievement or success, in memory or remembrance, to express your appreciation, or as an alternate gift for someone who has everything.
- ABC Huskies Day Care, Sherman County Child Care Foundation, P.O. Box 424, Wasco, OR 97065
- Columbia Basin Agricultural Research Center – Sherman Station Foundation, 36656 Lone Rock Road, Moro, OR 97039
- Grass Valley Pavilion Renovation & Rejuvenation Project, City of Grass Valley, P.O. Box 191, Grass Valley, OR 97029
- HAVEN from Domestic and Sexual Violence, PO Box 576, The Dalles, OR 9058
- Little Wheats Day Care Inc., P.O. Box 71, Moro, OR 97039
- Maryhill Museum of Art, 35 Maryhill Museum Drive, Goldendale, WA 98620
- Oregon Cultural Trust, Oregon Cultural Trust, 775 Summer Street NE, Ste 200, Salem, OR 97301 – a portion of these funds are allocated to Sherman County Cultural Coalition for distribution, & matched to local cultural non-profit gifts provide a tax credit.
- OSU Extension 4-H Programs, 36656 Lone Rock Road, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Ambulance, PO Box 139, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Athletic Foundation, PO Box 191, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Cultural Coalition, PO Box 23, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Fair, P.O. Box 45, Wasco, OR 97065
- Sherman County Food Bank, PO Box 14, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Historical Society & Museum, P.O. Box 173, Moro, OR 97039 –qualifies for Oregon Cultural Trust Tax Credits
- Sherman County Junior Hoops, c/o Sherman County Athletic Foundation, PO Box 191, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Lions Club, P.O. Box 27, Wasco, OR 97065
- Sherman Elementary Parent Teacher Organization, 69512 High School Loop, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Public/School Library, 69512 High School Loop, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Scholarship Association, 65912 High School Loop, Moro, Oregon 97039
- Sherman County Senior & Community Center, P.O. Box 352, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman Development League, P.O. Box 11, Moro, OR 97039
- Sherman County Preschool
- Wasco Cemetery Association, Sun Rise Cemetery, PO Box ___, Wasco, OR 97065
- Wasco RR Depot & History Center, City of Wasco, P.O. Box ___, Wasco, OR 97065
- Wasco Salmon/Steelhead Tournament, P.O. Box ____, Wasco, OR 97065
- Your church.
8. Sherman County Senior & Community Center December Meal Menu
Sherman County Senior & Community Center
December Meal Menu
We serve lunch at 12:00, noon sharp. First come, first served.
If you have a group of 2 or more, please let the Kitchen staff know at #565-3191, the day before to ensure that we make enough food to serve!
MEAL PRICING: Under 60 Yrs. Is $7.00 ~ 60 Yrs. & UP $4.00 suggested donation!
Menu subject to change due to availability.
|Pizza loaded w/Meat|
|Salad & Veggies|
|Sloppy Joe’s /Bun||Turkey Tetrazzini||Oven Fried Chicken||Swedish Meatballs||Beef Chili|
|Potato Wedges & Salad||Salad & Veggies||Mashed Potatoes &Gravy||Rotini Noodles & Salad||Cornbread & Salad|
|Veggies & Dessert||Fruit||Veggies, Salad & Dessert||Veggies & Fruit||Veggies & Ice Cream|
|Chicken & Noodles||Chicken Fried Rice||Meatloaf||Mac & Cheese w/Ham||Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas|
|Salad & Veggies||Salad & Veggies||Mashed Potatoes & Gravy||Salad & Veggies||Veggies & Salad|
|Dessert||Fruit||Veggies, Salad & Dessert||Fruit||Ice Cream|
|18||19||20 CHRISTMAS LUNCH||21||22|
|Cheeseburgers||Chicken & Broccoli Casserole (DIVAN)||Roast Beef||Chicken a la King||Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup|
|Potato Wedges & Salad||Salad & Veggies||Mashed Potatoes & Gravy||Biscuits & Salad||Rolls, Salad|
|Veggies & Dessert||Fruit||Rolls, Veggie, Salad & Dessert||Veggies & Fruit||Veggies & Dessert|
|CLOSED TO CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS||CLOSED TO CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS||Baked Ham||Chicken Fried Steak||French Dip Sandwich|
|Au Gratin Potatoes & Salad||Mashed Potatoes & Gravy||Potato Wedges, Salad|
|Veggies & Dessert||Veggies, Salad & Fruit||Veggies & Dessert|
9. Links: Things to Think About & Things to Do