Wasco County Fair & Rodeo, Aug. 18-21
Strengthening Families Program – Updated: Sept. 27-Nov. 8
The Dalles Civic Auditorium Accepting Flea Market Reservations
What is it about Great Leaders?
History Tidbits: A Centennial Chautauqua, DeMoss Springs, 1989
Links: Things to Think About & Things to Do
1.Wasco County Fair & Rodeo, Aug. 18-21
Wasco County Fair & Rodeo
Tygh Valley, Oregon
2. Strengthening Families Program – Updated: Sept. 27-Nov. 8
3. The Dalles Civic Auditorium Accepting Flea Market Reservations
The Civic is now accepting reservations for the 2016-2017 Fall/Winter Flea Markets. Dates this year are: Oct 9, Nov, 13, Dec 11, Jan 8, and Feb. 12. Tables are $20. Tables and chairs are included. For information, please call 541-298-8533 or email TheDallesCivic@gmail.com
4. What is it about Great Leaders?
What makes great leaders great? Is it attitude? Is it the number of people following them? Or could it be something else? What do you think a good leader does? Run the show? Tell others what to do? Here are some interesting ideas about leadership for you to consider.
Great leaders seem to love problems. Great leaders will always run to the solution of a problem, not away from it. And with this attitude, this skill of not being afraid to face a challenge head-on, they bring along those they lead in the quest to find these solutions.
Something else about leaders, that you may have noticed, is that great leaders naturally develop those around them and teach them to be leaders too. They do it all the time, because competition or the new generation coming up behind them does not threaten them.
Great leaders earn the trust of those who follow them. It wouldn’t occur to a great leader to think of the people he or she leads as subordinates or in any way inferior. They respect the unique talents and worth of every individual, and can step aside and allow someone more qualified to lead when the situation calls for it.
Great leaders are not in a quest for personal power. They are, though, passionate about their purpose and can inspire others to feel strongly as well. What do you think? Who qualifies as a great leader to you? ~ The Pacific Institute
5. History Tidbits: A Centennial Chautauqua, DeMoss Springs, 1989
Definition of Chautauqua by Merriam-Webster : any of various traveling shows and local assemblies that flourished in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, that provided popular education combined with entertainment in the form of lectures, concerts, and plays, and that were modeled after activities at the Chautauqua Institution of western New York.
As part of the Sherman County Centennial celebration, the Centennial Homecoming was presented by the Sherman County Historical Society & Sherman County Centennial Committee, June 17-18, 1989.
On Saturday evening, June 17, 1989, Sherman County celebrated with an old-time Chautauqua at DeMoss Springs Park with this program:
- Mary Eakin: Piano Selections
- Stan Earl: “Sweet Oregon”
- Bill Bellamy, former State Representative: “Grass Roots Politics”
- Mark Mobley: A Centennial Song, “Friends and Neighbors”
- Countryfied: Mark Mobley, Ron Mobley & Dave Pshigoda: “I Think I’m in Love” & “Sentimental Lady”
- A Reading by Frank Zaniker: “The Bonnie, Bonnie Bunch Grass” & “The Land of Bunchgrass”
- Kirby Brumfield (in character): “Mark Twain”
- The Rolfe Family, Rodney, Sharon, Missy, Rhonda, Traci & Johnathan: “We Have This Moment” & “How Great Thou Art”
- A Monologue by Deanna Padget: “Makin’ Reuben Propose”
- A Drama featuring Sherman County Students, “From Then to Now: Musical Memories” – Grandfather: Gary Schilling, Grandchildren: Kerry McCoy & Tara Hinkley, Indian Children: Primary Students, Scouts: Preston Pattee & Doug Trieblehorn, Civil War Soldier, Matthew Fritts, WWI Doughboy: Jeff Burres, Sweet Sixteen Girl: Jenny Smith, Marine: Don Melzer, Soldier: Joe Faria, Sailor: Mark Fassbender, Airman: Sol Jacobsen, Army Family: Sol Jacobsen, Jenny Smith & Nathan Eggers, Korean War Soldier: Paul Bish, Vietnam War Soldier: Eric Powell, Cowboy: Darren Ramsey, Reader: Tate Justesen (Grade 2), Farmer & Wife: Wes Powell & Sheri Johnson, Girl with Surrey: Melanie Smith (sing-along), School Marm: Melanie Smith, School Children: Joshua Macnab & Amy Richelderfer, Cheerleader: Mindi Linne’, Cameo Roles: Dean Pinkerton & Paulen Kaseberg, Graduates: Jill Reed & Chris Rhinehart, Soloist: Stan Earl (sing-along) and Chorus: Kelsey Richelderfer, Amanda Burnett, Tim Melzer, Jenny Burris, Nicole DeMoss, Jessie Faria, Tara Eakin, Trevor Beers, Heidi Brege, Jada Conner, Korissa Wentz, Corey Timblin, Daryl Wilsie, Matthew Fritts, Bobbi Denley, Chad Wentz, Trevor Fields, Tyan Sanderson, Jason Matthews, Cory Burnett, Brittni Beers, Maria Macnab, Jesse Thomas, Cassie Morehouse, Jon Fritts, Krystal White, Marcus Reckmann, Jeff Bird, Joanna Schilling, Mary Middleton, Amber Timblin, Sarah Richelderfer, Mandy Patten, Dustin Richelderfer, Jason Edwards, Amanda Jauken, Joshua Thomas, Justin Miller, Asa Richelderfer, Amy Richelderfer, Julia Pinkerton, Joshua Macnab & Brandon Gosson.
- Accompanist: Mary Eakin
- Makeup: The Barnstormers
- Sound Technician: Larry Loop
- Written & Directed by: Eileen Moreau & Nell Melzer
- Concessions (box lunches available at the park)
- Coordinators: Carrie Allen, Chris Kaseberg & Sherry Kaseberg
- Transportation to & from DeMoss Park courtesy of Mid-Columbia Bus & the Flatt Family
6. Links: Things to Think About & Things to Do
Wasco County Fair August 18-21 http://www.thedalleschronicle.com/documents/2016/aug/17/wasco-county-fair-and-rodeo-2016/
More mosquitoes test positive for West Nile http://www.eastoregonian.com/eo/local-news/20160816/more-mosquitoes-test-positive-for-west-nile
What’s a conservative to do ?http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/08/whats_a_conservative_to_do.html
Rep. Greg Walden, 2nd District of Oregon https://walden.house.gov/issues
Rep. Doug Whitsett https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/whitsett
Prize-winning Steer Named After Oregon Stand-off Leader LaVoy Finicum http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/08/prize-winning_steer_named_afte.html
Corey Lequieu becomes first Oregon standoff defendant sent to prison in conspiracy case http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/08/corey_lequieu_becomes_first_or.html#incart_2box
Prosecutors in Oregon standoff case admit faux pas in Facebook account sharing http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/08/prosecutors_in_oregon_standoff.html
Oregon Unemployment Rate Rises for Second Straight Month http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/34697227-75/oregon-unemployment-rate-rises-for-second-straight-month.html.csp
Local Red Cross Continues to Send Disaster Responders to Louisiana; 17 Volunteers Deploy to Aid Massive Relief Effort http://www.flashalertnewswire.net/images/news/2016-08/1190/96944/News_Release_-_Local_Red_Cross_Sends_More_Responders_to_Massive_Louisiana_Flood_Relief_Effort.pdf
FAQ. Oregon’s Corporate Tax Measure is a Big Deal. Here’s Why. http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/08/faq_oregons_corporate_tax_meas.html#incart_river_index
The field decisions in fighting wildfire are tough and costly (Opinion) http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/08/the_field_decisions_in_fightin.html
Michelangelo’s David. David’s Ankles: How Imperfections Could Bring Down the World’s Most Perfect Statue http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/magazine/davids-ankles-how-imperfections-could-bring-down-the-worlds-most-perfect-statue.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=1
André Rieu with singer Mirusia perform Memory http://www.ba-bamail.com/video.aspx?emailid=22153
“I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.” —Benjamin Franklin (1766)
Exposed! Soros linked to Islamic radicals https://thehornnews.com/exposed-soros-linked-islamic-radicals/
30K Muslim Refugees Land on U.S. Soil in 2016 Alone http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/30k-muslim-refugees-land-u-s-soil-2016-alone/
Manufactured Grievance: The Engine of Progressivism http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/08/manufactured_grievance_the_engine_of_progressivism.html
The Conditioner Class: What’s Really Behind Comey and Clinton https://patriotpost.us/commentary/43674
Venezuela: From Utopia to Hell on Earth https://patriotpost.us/articles/44329
“Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.” —former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill