- Sherman County 2016 Primary Election Information
- Food Preservation Classes | Drying, Pickling, Freezing, Fermenting
- Sherman County Court Announces Upgrade to County Internet System
- Notice: Sherman County Fair Board Work Session, Feb. 25
- Commentary: 545 vs. 300,000,000 People
“The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people’s money.” ~ Margaret Thatcher
1. Sherman County 2016 Primary Election Information
SHERMAN COUNTY 2016 PRIMARY ELECTION INFORMATION
Notice is hereby given that on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 the Sherman County Clerk’s Office will be conducting the 2016 Primary Election for the following offices in Sherman County:
Major party candidates will be nominated for this office at the Primary and elected at the General Election in November:
County Commissioner, Position 1 – 4 year term
Candidates for the following nonpartisan offices will be nominated at the Primary and elected at the General Election in November:
County Sheriff – 4 year term
County Clerk – 4 year term
Candidate documents must be filed no later than 5:00pm March 8, 2016.
Candidates for precinct committeepersons may file for office between the dates of February 1, 2016 and 5:00pm March 8, 2016. One male and one female precinct committeeperson can be elected from the Democratic and Republican parties. These are two year terms and are elected at the Primary.
Forms, office requirements, and filing information can be obtained at the Sherman County Clerk’s Office, 500 Court Street in Moro, Oregon or by calling 541-565-3606. Election forms and manuals are also available online at: http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Pages/manuals-tutorials.aspx
Jenine McDermid, c.c.c., Sherman County Clerk
2. Food Preservation Classes | Drying, Pickling, Freezing, Fermenting
Want to learn how to make wonderful jams & jellies…dried fruits & vegetables…pickles and fermented foods? Want to know how to use a water bath canner and a pressure canner? Want to can or freeze your garden surplus this year? Or learn how to make cheese?
You can learn all this and more by becoming a Master Food Preserver through OSU Extension…or simply sign up for the food preservation “ala carte” classes in The Dalles this spring! Pick one, pick many. Pre-registration is required for all classes. Classes are held at Zion Lutheran Church at 101 W 10th Street in The Dalles, and each course costs $10 (unless otherwise noted). Contact Lauren Kraemer, OSU Extension Family and Community Health Faculty at 541-386-3343 x 38258 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
DATE COURSE TIME
June 14 Drying 1pm-4pm
June 28 Jams & Jellies 1pm-4pm
July 12 Pickling 1pm-4pm
July 19 Fermenting 1pm-4pm
August 2 Pressure Canning 1pm-4pm
August 9 Tasty Tomato Products 1pm-4pm
August 16 Freezing 1pm-4pm
August 30 Cheese Making 1pm-4pm
The Master Food Preserver Certification course will be held Tuesdays starting April 19 through May 31, also at Zion Lutheran in The Dalles. Master Food Preservers are trained and certified community volunteers who assist OSU Extension Service in providing up-to-date food safety and preservation information to Oregonians. Participate in this hands-on, comprehensive training and gain skills in a variety of food preservation methods. Successful volunteers will complete a certification exam at the end of the course and contribute 48 hours of community service. Space is limited to 15 people. Cost is $125, with scholarships available.
3. Sherman County Court Announces Upgrade to County Internet System
~ County Commissioner Mike Smith
Recently the Sherman County Court announced an upgrade to the existing county Internet system to address slowness issues. We are pleased to announce that a fiber optics have now been run to the Wasco location. The next phase will be installing an upgraded wireless link then connecting the fiber to the link which will allow the system to carry much greater speeds.
All things going smoothly, the work is scheduled to be completed on February 25th, this coming Thursday. After that, users should see significant improvements in performance. Thank you to everyone for your patience while this issue is being addressed.
4. Notice: Sherman County Fair Board Work Session, Feb. 25
Sherman County Fair Board will hold a work session on their annual budget. Work session will be Thursday, February 25, 2016, starting at 5:30 p.m. at the Steve Burnet Extension & Research Center meeting room in Moro.
5. Commentary: 545 vs. 300,000,000 People
-By Charlie Reese 1985 & 1995
Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.
- Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, why we have deficits?
- Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, why we have inflation and high taxes?
- You and I don’t propose a federal budget. The President does.
- You and I don’t have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.
- You and I don’t write the tax code. Congress does.
- You and I don’t set fiscal policy. Congress does.
- You and I don’t control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.
One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.
- I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.
- I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a President to do one cotton-picking thing. I don’t care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator’s responsibility to determine how he votes.
Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.
What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits. The President can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.
The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House now? He is the leader of the majority party. He and fellow House members, not the President, can approve any budget they want. If the President vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.
It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted — by present facts — of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can’t think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.
- If the tax code is unfair, it’s because they want it unfair.
- If the budget is in the red, it’s because they want it in the red.
- If the Army & Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan it’s because they want them in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it’s because they want it that way.
There are no insoluble government problems. Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like “the economy,” “inflation,” or “politics” that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.
Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible. They, and they alone, have the power. They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses. Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees… We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!
First time visitor to eastern Oregon? http://www.visiteasternoregon.com/travel-info/first-time-to-eastern-oregon/
America Lands Council http://www.americanlandscouncil.org/
Sellwood Bridge Construction Time-lapse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hExraY36KyI
Bridge of the Gods http://www.gatheringthestories.org/2013/10/20/bridge-of-the-gods/
The World’s Largest Monastic Library http://www.ba-bamail.com/content.aspx?emailid=15037
The amount of land Obama has seized will astound you… http://www.dailywire.com/news/3357/amount-land-obama-has-seized-feds-will-astound-you-michael-qazvini#.VsEgZEzEEQA.facebook
Northwest Passage | BLM Magazine for Oregon & Washington http://www.blm.gov/or/nwpassage/index.php
Local food producers suffer over minimum wage vote http://naturalresourcereport.com/2016/02/local-food-producers-suffer-over-minimum-wage-vote/
Editorial: Governor Brown, Minimum Wage & Business http://www.bendbulletin.com/opinion/4009627-151/editorial-governor-brown-doesnt-get-business#
4 reasons why the $14.75 minimum wage will disrupt Oregon nonprofits http://www.ba-bamail.com/content.aspx?emailid=19529
Commentary: The legislative and judicial branches strike back against Obama’s overreach | Newton’s Third Law of Motion “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-legislative-and-judicial-branches-strike-back-against-obamas-overreach/2016/02/19/15f403b8-d672-11e5-be55-2cc3c1e4b76b_story.html?postshare=5821456070438509&tid=ss_fb-bottom
Why is the West so obsessed with protecting the territorial integrity of Syria & Iraq? http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/02/why_is_the_west_so_obsessed_with_protecting_the_territorial_integrity_of_syria_and_iraq.html
Fatima Noor: Special Assistant to Director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/06/29/other-side-camp
Farmers Feed the World – video http://www.dailyliked.net/farmers-feed-the-world/
30,000 Chickens in Milton-Freewater! http://www.eastoregonian.com/eo/local-news/20160219/man-takes-on-30000-chickens-in-milton-freewater
Trump: Make America Great Again https://www.donaldjtrump.com/
The Trump Organization http://www.trump.com/biography/